Harm Reduction Intervention Programme (HRIP)
New Service Provision – Commencing November, 2010 - Harm Reduction Intervention Programme (HRIP)
The HSE would like to inform you of the establishment of the above programme by the HSE Dublin Mid-Leinster Addiction Services.
This new programme has been developed by Loretta Ratcliffe and Clodagh Rooney (Outreach Workers) and has come to fruition through the support of various stakeholders including their Sector Management Team and Coolmine Therapeutic Community. Coolmine have been instrumental in securing its commencement.
The HRIP is outlined below and the process of referral your agency can undertake. Leaflets and business cards will be sent out in due course.
Please bring this information to the attention of your team and if you feel it would be of benefit, Loretta and Clodagh can attend a team meeting to discuss this in more detail. Alternatively, you can contact either of them on the numbers below.
For further details:
Loretta Ratcliffe, Outreach Worker, 086 6041013 or Clodagh Rooney, Outreach Worker, 086 6041029
The HRIP (Harm Reduction Intervention Programme)
The HRIP adheres to the ethos of reducing harm for those who currently wish to actively use opiates.
It aims to reduce harm through offering a two pronged approach to drug use. Firstly, by prescribing low dose methadone substitution treatment (up to 40mls) to be facilitated by the G.P Co-ordinator, Dr Margaret Bourke. Secondly, by providing access to Addiction Services harm reduction Outreach Workers, incorporating education, information, referral and drug using paraphernalia.
Who Can Access this Service?
- Living in the HSE Dublin Mid-Leinster area (i.e. South Inner City, South County Dublin, County Kildare and West Wicklow)
- Currently signing on homeless, but originally from the above catchment area
- Currently resident in the above specified area
Who Would This Service Benefit?
- Heroin Smokers
- Heroin Injectors
- Individuals who wish to stabilise their drug use
- Individuals wishing to access a stabilisation programme
- Individuals who are living in an area where a long waiting list for methadone substitution treatment is in operation
- Individuals who wish to undertake, or are awaiting, a detoxification programme
The Referral Process:
Contact the HSE Addiction Services Outreach Workers:
Loretta 086 6041013
Clodagh 086 6041029
Assessments will be taking place Wednesday evenings, starting 10th November, 2010.
Important to note:
Individuals cannot be placed on a waiting list for full methadone maintenance treatment programme when they are attending the HRIP.